Ramblin' Dan's

3D Print Design Studio

DSC07691Box Feet

I have a new 3D print original project. My wife has a makeup box setting on the very long built in sink counter in our bathroom. It is located between the two sinks built into the counter top. All one piece.

Splash water will sometimes accumulate around this box. It is made from pressed wood and has absorbed some of this water and bulged out a bit on the bottom edge. She asked me if I could make something to raise the box off the surface so the water on the counter top could not get to it.

An excellent application for plastic, and that means a 3D print project. I am always thinking KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) so this needed to be simple. I designed four 50 mm squares that are 5 mm high to set under each corner. It’s virtually impossible for water to pond 5 mm deep on the flat sink counter. I put a 5 mm flange on two sides for the box corners to set within. In effect the makeup box now has four waterproof corner feet, to keep it up out of any puddles on the counter.

The corner feet are not (yet) attached. They could easily be glued on if necessary. The makeup box is not moved or carried around so unattached will be fine for now.

As usual I start with a quick dimensional hand sketch to plan my CAD. Then it’s into Autodesk Fusion 360 to execute the CAD. It’s very professional software and little home shops like mine get to use it for free. It’s very different than the “old school” CAD but I am getting to really liking what I can do with it. My Rhinoceros is getting a rest…

The makeup box is white so the white PLA I have been using in my printer sparked my wife’s request for the box risers. A perfect opportunity. Just draw up the design and no preparation getting the printer set up.

I have been experimenting with CURA 2.5 on my Linux computer and 2.6 beta on the Windows10 machine. Both CURA versions have serious problems discovering the 3D printers on their USB ports. Eventually by switching things on and off, they will get connected. CURA is freeware designed primarily for Ultimaker, so on other system brands it performs a bit buggy.

I could do some very nice prints with CURA, but Simplify3D will remain my go-to work horse. I did a test print of this project on CURA but made the four real parts with Simplify3D. CURA just doesn’t offer the same printer manual control. I was also getting a strange partial missing top layer misprint that isn’t in the .stl drawing, and doesn’t happen in Simplify3D. Strange behavior.

The pictures tell the story of this little project:

A421 box corner v2
 The usual rough hand sketch to determine design and measurements.  As drawn using Autodesk Fusion 360, then exported as a .stl file
DSC07690 DSC07687
 I made four exactly the same.  How they fit on the box corners. Note damage from the water on the countertop. Needs some repair...

The Author

Ramblin' Dan Kautz

dankautzThere is no doubt one of my hobbies is writing about my hobbies. I read somewhere a long time ago, the best things to write about are the things you know very well. I have been writing and publishing long before the personal computer became the tool of choice.  My first printed and published club newsletter was created in the late 60's.

Read more ...

Our Mission

The intention of this web site and “Ramblin’ Dan’s 3D Print Design Studio” is to promote creative design thinking and demonstrate how ideas can be changed to tangible creations through the proper application and use of Three-Dimensional Printing systems.

Read more ...

Copyright © 2017 TEDatum Publishing . All Rights Reserved.