3D Printing - "It's all about design and quality output. Not how fast the printer can run."
Totally rebuilt the hot end of my Delta 3D printer. Replaced the threaded steel filament tube, the 5x10x120 mm aluminum heat block and the 0.04mm brass nozzle. This is not the first time except for the aluminum block. The threads in it were getting a bit worn and leaky.
The heater element and thermistor have been replaced previously.
That called for a big printing project to initiate the new parts. A marble machine was selected from Thingiverse. The machine selected is #2 designed by Tulio Laanen.
The design was intriguing and of reasonable size. I choose to print in 0.01 mm layer height. There are over 1000 layers in the main ramp part and took 24 hours to print.
Tullo is a good designer but the .stl files he offers are a nightmare. They must work OK on a Cura slicer but are totally inadequate on my Simplify3D. I had to repair all the separate parts files as I was not going to use the combined “repaired” set Tullo provided and print all the parts at the same time.
A word to the wise. Only use .stl’s that have been repaired for use by other than Cura slicers. I repaired my own but they are widely available on Thingiverse as well.
The bottom “axel pin” in the base of the screw tower is another weak point. It snapped off immediately. I drilled a hole, modified a piece of steel nail and press fit a steel pin for the end of the screw.
The shaft on the end of the jack screw is a second weak point in the original files. There is a hole created under the pin in the original file (and Simplify3D will create the hole), making it extremely weak. I fixed the file and had to run a new screw part (over 3 hours run time.) Lesson learned.
The marble machine was a nice project but I don’t think I’ll be making any more. At least of this style. The marble lift screw and especially the spin cap don’t work all that well. There is not a good connection with the finger spinner cap and the screw. I printed a second set of the finger hole spinner and the cap that are working a bit better.
I am printing a one-piece finger spinner and lift screw, and a new cap to fit. They will be in Yellow in my pictures. Always room to experiment with a design.
But like I said, drawing problems aside, the marble machine is interesting and a very good workout for my printer. The print surface quality is excellent with 0.01 mm layers. I am thinking I will have to do more printing of other projects using that layer height.